Latest

Bulgaria Limits U.S. Military Aircraft Presence After Visa Dispute, PM Says

Bulgaria limits the stay of U.S. military aircraft until June-end after Washington failed to approve visa-free travel for Bulgarians, PM Rumen Radev says.

Global

Sofia — Bulgaria will allow U.S. military aircraft to remain on its soil only until the end of June after Washington failed to approve a visa-free travel arrangement for Bulgarian citizens, Prime Minister Rumen

Radev said Friday. Radev said the decision responds to the United States' reluctance to finalize reciprocal visa-free access for Bulgarians, framing it as a matter of national dignity and reciprocity. He said Bulgarian authorities will permit U.S. military planes to operate in the country through June, after which their presence will be withdrawn unless the visa issue is resolved. 

The announcement marks a significant diplomatic escalation between the NATO allies. Bulgaria, a member of NATO since 2004 and an EU member since 2007, has increasingly pushed for visa reciprocity with the United States after several rounds of diplomatic engagement failed to produce a breakthrough.

A U.S. defense or state department spokesperson had not immediately commented on the Bulgarian announcement. NATO officials also did not issue an immediate statement.

Analysts say the dispute could strain military cooperation and exercises in the region at a time of heightened security concerns in Europe. Military flights based in Bulgaria have supported NATO logistics and training operations, and their suspension could require redistribution of assets to other member states.

 Bulgaria has previously sought visa-free travel arrangements for short-term visits to the United States for its citizens. The United States maintains a visa requirement for Bulgarian nationals despite visa-free travel for many EU member states.

Radev framed the decision as aimed at protecting Bulgaria’s national interests while leaving the door open for a diplomatic solution. “We expect reciprocity; if it is granted, cooperation will continue,” he said.

The situation will be closely watched by NATO partners and regional governments, which may seek to mediate or adjust operational plans depending on developments{. Asian medianetwork.)

Related Stories

Latest Articles

  1. Telangana Congress in Turmoil: Factional War Erupts, Revanth Reddy Camp Goes on High Alert
  2. తెలంగాణ కాంగ్రెస్‌లో తిరుగుబాటు సెగలు! రేవంత్‌కు సొంత పార్టీ నేతల నుంచే సవాళ్లు?
  3. yogis-make-school-videos-push-faces-questions-as-up-districts-restrict-filming
  4. A couple who went to the forest for solitude were shocked when a young man sustained severe injuries from torn electric wires.
  5. Hyderabad Supercar Crash: Crores-Worth Luxury Car Claims Woman’s Life, MP’s Son Booked
  6. Free Mass Varalakshmi Vratham to Be Held at Srisailam
  7. Chandrasekhar Azad Inspects Prasadam and Anna Danam Facilities at Annavaram
  8. Devotee Donates Gold Jewellery Worth ₹21 Lakh to Vijayawada Durga Temple
  9. Endowments Commissioner Reviews Final Works at Indrakeeladri Temple
  10. EO V.K. Sheena Naik Invites Senior District Officials to Inauguration of Prasadam Bhavan
Comments

Sign in with Google to comment.