Bengaluru | August 13, 2026
Karnataka Chief Minister D K Shivakumar on Thursday welcomed the decision by Kannada activists to withdraw their statewide shutdown call, describing the development as “happy news” as the state Assembly began its session.
The bandh had been called by pro-Kannada organisations and farmer groups over the Cauvery water-sharing dispute, particularly opposition to directions for Karnataka to release 12,000 cusecs of Cauvery water daily to Tamil Nadu for 15 days.
After meeting the Chief Minister, representatives of Kannada organisations decided to withdraw the bandh call. Shivakumar thanked the activists for their cooperation and said the move would help maintain peace across Karnataka.
“Today is the first day of the Assembly after I took over as Chief Minister. I thank all the activists,” Shivakumar said, while welcoming their decision. He also appealed for cooperation in addressing Karnataka’s interests through democratic and constitutional channels.
The shutdown had received a mixed response across the state, with Bengaluru and several other areas continuing normal public services. Schools, banks, hospitals and major transport services largely remained operational, while protests and road blockades were reported in some districts, particularly around the Cauvery issue.
The withdrawal comes amid growing political and public pressure over Karnataka’s Cauvery water position. The state government has indicated that it is examining legal options, including the possibility of approaching the Supreme Court over the water-release direction.
Comments
Sign in with Google to comment.